Sunday, January 10, 2010

Married Student Ward

When Nick and I got married we started attending the married student ward(MSW).

Now there are many cool things about a MSW.
* Everyone is broke and humble about it
* Everyone is the same general age
* The Bishops are often College Professors
* The ward changes often, so you get to meet a lot of new people
*Relief Society
Now this last one deserves a little explanation. In a college ward Relief Society your leaders and teachers are your peers. Women who are dealing with the exact same issues you are.

Also there was the roll. Every week you marked yourself here, grabbed flyers for activities, picked up the visiting teaching message,(because who can afford the whole Ensign), and checked the "Expecting Mothers page".
I know right such a cool way to announce you are pregnant. Don't tell anyone, just write it down in Relief Society.
But this was not the best however.
Because of the high rate of change several times a semester you would get to go around the whole room and introduce yourself, so we could all "get to know ya"
Invariably the tiny blond on the second row would stand and say.

"Hello, my name is Stacey, my husband is Dave. We have been married for 4 months and we are 2 and a half months pregnant."
Now I and others as the group of old timers (those who had been married for 2-3 years w/o producing progeny) would look and each other and kind of smile.
Because who doesn't think that is cute!!!

When I got Pregnant with Cooper, I wanted to announce like that. Except I wanted to one-up them. I wanted to say the gender of the baby too!!

Now wait you might ask, won't most people be able to tell you are pregnant
before you can tell the gender.

Well no, see I am tall and I carry all in my back.
So as the day of my 21 week ultrasound approached and I was so excited. It was at the beginning of a new semester so I just knew I would get to announce in Relief Society.
However much to my chagrin the Sunday before my Tuesday appt. we were all asked to introduce ourselves.
Well I went for it even with out the Frosting for the cake.
"Hi I am Tawny my Husband is Nick
we have been married for almost 4 years
and we are expecting our first baby in May.

My disappointment at not knowing the gender was tempered by the Relief Society Secretary, who was conducting, dropping her book and yelling "No Way". It was marvelous.

Now here I am again.
Getting a little chubby,
just barely "showing"
and I am saying.

"Hi my name is Tawny my husband is Nick we have been married for almost seven years and have an almost three year old son named Cooper. And we are expecting another Little Boy the second week of May!"

"NO WAY!!!!!"
That's right I made it, this time!!!

12 comments:

Bobette said...

I can be the first to say "No Way"!!! I'm very excited for you guys. Coop needs a little friend. Congrats.

Beth said...

Congratulations! How exciting for you guys.

Melissa Musso said...

congratulations!! That is really exciting! Hope you are having a great second half of the school year. Hope you have good students and no pills like some certain boys in my class :) congrats again I am excited for you!

The Staheli's said...

Congrats!!!! That's super exciting. How fun for Coop to have a little brother. :) I'm impressed that you made it long enough to announce the SEX!

The Jackson's said...

I so remember the first announcement. I think I was sitting by you! That was pretty shocking!! Anyway, I am way excited for you to have another one!!!!! Congrats!

AggieMay said...

WaHoo! So excited for you- ya little stinker! I was shocked the first time when you announced you were preggo with Coop and now! Geez girl. So proud of you for keeping it a secret for so long! Crazy nuts! Way excited. AND since we will both have two boys that makes me miss you even more. Wouldn't it be fun for the little kidlets to be best buds? *sigh* I hope you're feeling well.

word verification in case you're wondering: "blefrin" I think it sounds like a prescription drug...

*rOcKiN rIcHiNs* said...

yay for tawny and nick and coop!!!!

Elise said...

YOU'RE PREGNANT?!?!

:)

Bonnie Parks said...

I sort of almost wondered when you were posting about not a lot of energy. Hoped you were feeling well. It all makes sense now. CONGRATULATIONS! I think that's wonderful!

Annalie said...

That is SO exciting! Congratulations!

Jenn said...

I've told you this already, but you hide it well. I am happy that you got to announce it how you wanted too, even if it wasn't in RS.

Annie said...

Tawny that is so exciting. Congratulations!!! You show sooner the second time. I did with my second one. I didn't know you were still in the college married ward. That is fun. I miss that time. Enjoy it while you can.