Thursday, November 10, 2011

Kids

Today I had a student ask me a question.  A really Poignant question.  


"Do you believe that things you do will come back and effect you later".


 I said "Yes", and then paused and said "But I have kids".


I have actually been thinking about this a lot lately.  Life seems to be going really fast and I seem unable of catching my breath and yesterday I feel like I took out my Frustration on my kids.  I was Short with them and even Angry.  I found myself later wondering if my lapses in "adult" control will ultimately effect how my sweet boys see and interact with the world, and that really worries me. Because I have kids, I find myself thinking through decisions more slowly and introspectively because I know they won't just effect me, but also these innocent spirits in my home.


I looked at this young kid with his whole life and a million choices ahead of him, dismissing the things he could do that would "effect him later".


Then he told me he got a girl pregnant............

3 comments:

The Staheli's said...

Wow...I wasn't expecting that last sentence. It's truly incredible how much our choices affect us and so many others around us. We are starting the adoption process, so if he tells you they are thinking about placing the baby, send them our way. Unlikely, but I might as well throw it out there. :)

*rOcKiN rIcHiNs* said...

intense...

Elise said...

I believe in karma. I'm sure there's another term for it in our church.

Don't you love how, as a parent, every little flippant word or thoughtless action is magnified by, like, a thousand? On the bright side, I think these little spirits come to the parents they do for a good reason. :)