Monday, April 16, 2012

Elementary....I think not!

My employer ( the school district) has made it virtually impossible for me to educate my own child. Not only does Elementary School start 1 and 1/2 hours after I have to be at work, but they get out 1 and 1/2 hours early on Friday. Don't get me started on half day Kindergarten. An hour and a half on Fridays...really.

So here are our options.

#1 Keep him at the same daycare (which we have had problems with) and he can go to the WORST Elementary in the District. (not really an option even though it is close and convenient)

#2 drop him off with a family in the ward so he can go to the school close to our house.(awesome school) Pick him up on my lunch break every day and drive him to another daycare that's pretty close to my school. 2 days a week Nick would have to pick him up, and take him into town, because my lunch is not long enough. (lot of driving)

#3 We just found out he got in the lottery to one of the local charter schools. No idea how we would get him there or pick him up, because it is way out further than our house.(but on the list just the same)

#4 We just found a new daycare near a bus stop for another really good school in the district. Upside is they will walk him to and from the bus stop. Downside we would HAVE to buy a new car cause I couldn't drop Nick off at work anymore.

#5 Skip Kindergarten, since he is a virtual genius anyway, enroll him at the high school and take him to work with me!!!

I know crazy huh. Probably going to end up doing option #4, cause really what family can survive forever with just one car anyway. however if either of the vehicles spontaneously combust again (totally nightmared about it last night) we will just have to make due with only one forever.

But we are open to suggestions ;)

4 comments:

The Staheli's said...

WOW! Tough call. I heard the charter schools have buses, but they charge an extra fee. Might be an option if he gets in. Good luck! :)

The Jackson's said...

My niece goes to a charter school down there somewhere...I don't think she is any different then a "normal" school kid her age. So I say no to option #3. I am totally loving the option #5 hands down! But seriously...Good Luck!!

Sarah said...

My aunt is a secretary at an elementary school in Lehi. She said Kindergarten is completely optional. Since he's already reading and the schedule would be crazy (I know, we're trying to figure that out for when Trevor starts next year. He misses to start in the fall by 4 days!). Anywho. You may just want to wait to start him in 1st grade next year.

AggieMay said...

oh man- what a dilemma! You forgot solution #6- Move to Blanding- we only have 1 elementary school to "choose" from and I'd be happy to take him to and from school every day. He and Ian really should be best friends after all. Love you. Hope you find a solution that suits your family. <3 Mags